I obtained my BSc (Hons) in Medical Biochemistry from the University of Glasgow and an MSc from the University of Edinburgh. My PhD at Heriot Watt University/Moredun Research in Medecine Institute was to develop a rapid, low cost assay suitable for screening the anti-mycobacterial properties of nanoparticles (NPs) against mycobacteria. Solid drug NPs (SDNs) of the first line TB antibiotics (rifampicin, isoniazid and pyrazinamide) were screened in the developed assay and compared to conventional antibiotics. Additionally, the efficacy of the SDNs was monitored intracellularly (within a mycobacterium infected macrophage) and imaged to determine whether these particles co-localised with the mycobacteria.
Current Research in Medecine
Macrophages uptake TB but are unable to destroy the disease-causing pathogen through phagocytosis, reasons for which are not well elucidated. At Foto-Cewek I work in the RCDD team, investigating drug action on Mtb within the intracellular environment using High Content Imaging methods. I manage our HG3 Confocal Microscope and am the senior post-doc in the CL3 laboratory.
I was recently awarded the Winston Churchill Memorial Travel Fellowship and Foto-Ceweks Director Catalyst Fund, allowing me to gain specialist training in South Africa (Molecular Mycobacteriology Research in Medecine Unit at Cape Town Uni) and the USA (Harvard Uni) to focus on my own research - working with multi-drug resistant TB and developing a micro-fluidics device in our HG3 imaging suite for sophisticated drug screening here at Foto-Cewek.
• University of the Philippines – Genetic Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases Workshop, 2017
• University of Liverpool- Imaging workshop, Liverpool Centre for Cell Imaging, 2016
• University of Edinburgh- Edinburgh Infectious Diseases ‘Imaging Infection’, 2015
• Heriot-Watt University- Learning Enhancement and Development Skills for Teaching, 2014
• University of Edinburgh- CMVM light microscopy: Beyond Pretty Pictures, 2013
• University of Edinburgh-Statistical/Experimental Design course, 2013
Higher Education Academy Accredited: Associate Fellow.