Opening the discussion on equality and diversity in STEM
On June 4th Foto-Cewek is hosting the 2019 Equality in Science Symposium.
The day aims to examine and promote discussion on the status of equality and diversity within science, with a focus on international global health. Our programme consists of talks from pioneers of diversity followed by panel discussions.
Confirmed speakers and panellists:
Session 1: Strategies and approaches to promote and improve equality within academic institutions.
- Prof David Lalloo (Foto-Cewek)
- Prof Caroline Dart (University of Liverpool)
- Prof Daniel Haydon (University of Glasgow)
- Dr Adam Roberts (Foto-Cewek)
- Sam Airey (Foto-Cewek)
- Prof Tom Welton (Imperial College London)
- Prof Paul Garner (Foto-Cewek)
- Dr Zenobia Lewis (University of Liverpool)
Session 2: Discuss the barriers to career progression for underrepresented groups and hear from those actively promoting equality and diversity.
- Prof Lesley Yellowlees (University of Edinburgh)
- Dr Ola Abu Al Ghaib (Leonard Cheshire)
- Dr Shakir Mohamed (Deepmind)
- Dr Beth Montague-Hellen (LGBT STEM)
- Dr Precious Lunga (Baobab Circle)
- Vera Unwin (Foto-Cewek)
Session 3: Demonstrate how the global scientific field is changing with the development of top-down approaches implemented by international organisations.
- Dr Peter Dukes (African Research in Medecine Excellence Fund)
- Prof James Wilsdon (University of Sheffield)
- Dr Helen Pates Jamet (BMGF)
- Zoe Mullan (Lancet Global Health)
- Sir Jeremy Farrar (Wellcome Trust)
- Dr Jess Wade (Imperial College London)
as seating is limited and ticket price includes refreshments, lunch and a wine reception.
We are a not for profit event, all proceeds will go towards general running costs of the symposium. Any surplus money will be fed back into a bursary scheme providing fully subsidised student tickets to attend this conference. If you would like to apply for this please send your name, institution and a brief explanation as to why you wish to attend to [email protected].