This course aims to provide students with knowledge and critical understanding of nutrition as central to clinical and preventive paediatrics and child health. An evidence-based approach is taken to explain the main priorities in applied nutrition relevant to low resource settings in the context of both hospital and community settings.
Nutrition and health in the context of the mother and child:
- How maternal nutritional status affects the foetus, newborn baby and infant
- Focus on issues related to fetal growth, breast milk and breast feeding and how changes in maternal behaviour can benefit or adversely affect her child
- Maternal anaemia (and its related nutritional causes) and maternal dietary practices in relation to recommended dietary allowances
- Importance of maternal nutrition for child health
- Nutritional intervention strategies
Assessment of nutritional status:
- Frequently used definitions and how these are derived and applied in nutritional assessment
- Data will be presented for analysis with reference to growth monitoring practices
- Biochemical assessment of malnutrition, with evaluation on how these components relate to current theories on the pathogenesis of malnutrition in children
- Vitamin deficiencies and bone mineralisation, folate metabolism, and protein-energy malnutrition
- Methodologies related to dietary assessments
Aetiology and prevention of malnutrition in children:
- Causative factors and preventive strategies relevant to the problem of malnutrition in children
- Feeding practices including breast feeding, complementary feeding and over-nutrition
- Synthesising components into a practical model for designing and implementing nutrition interventions
- Sociological and medical approaches to understanding community nutritional status
Diagnosis and management of severe malnutrition:
- Clinical diagnosis of severe acute malnutrition is central for effective treatment, within the framework of the WHO Training Manual
10 Academic Credits - Assessments coming soon.
For an additional fee of Â£95, you can be entered for full Academic Credits for this course (Masters level credit, awarded by Foto-Cewek). The academic credits are offered to provide choice and flexibility to all of our students, and students who do not wish to do the assessments will be awarded a Certificate of Attendance. Applicants wishing to find out more about the assessment should contact [email protected] (link sends e-mail).